The daughter is 7 months old (and counting), and we haven't settled the big nickname question. We call her by her given name -- her full first name -- and then we call her a whole bunch of other things. "Turducken" became "Turduck." So we have a nickname for that nickname. When she and I are home alone at night, when Mike is at school, things take a literary turn. I call her "My Little Loyal Gosling," "Wise Weaver," and "Discerning Daughter." I also call her "Monster," "Shrieker," and "Terror," as the occasion demands.
Mike's family call her "Penny," and some of our friends refer to her simply as "P."
I had kind of settled on Nellie as her formal nickname (a formal nickname?), but last night we re-settled on Poppy. Before she was born I called her "Pennyleinchen" which is a double German diminutive. Now I have taken to thinking of her as Given Name (comma) "Poppyleinchen." But even as I write this, I am waffling again. Penny? Poppy? Pip? Pippa?
Clearly the nickname discussion is a work in progress.
No comments:
Post a Comment