Someone gave me a copy of The Cat at Night by Dahlov Ipcar when I was three years old. My name is written neatly across the inside cover. "Raphaelle, 3." It is still one of my favorite books. I took it to college with me. In my carry-on luggage.
The other night we asked P. what she wanted to read, and she said "Cat at Night, Cat at Night, Cat at Night." But we couldn't find it. So we tried other books, but she kept asking. "Cat at Night?" Cat at Night?"
Finally, I found it. She was very happy. We read it three times in a row.
I am usually impervious to the blah-blah-circle-of-life stuff of parenting (not really, obviously) but this time it got me. My daughter looking at the same pictures that I looked at with my mom, over and over and over again.

No comments:
Post a Comment